Thursday, November 8, 2012

Market Square Farmer's Market 11/10/12

In my not so distant past, I worked on a goat farm in western NC. Over the course of three and a half years, I learned how to make many different kinds of cheese, how to milk, feed, and care for goats, and the nebulous art of working a farmer's market.
Market day was always my favorite, because it not only meant that I could represent a business I cared very much about, I got a chance to talk about my product nonstop with customers for a good four hours. I answered questions, responded to concerns, and generally met a lot of really wonderful people.
When I decided that I wanted to start my baking business here in Knoxville, I knew from the start that it would be a farmer's market business. Of course, there are practical reasons for this--not having to rent a storefront, getting to test the waters to see if what I bake will sell in the first place, and being able to work another job in addition to the bakery are just a few of those reasons.
But really, one of the most compelling reasons for my choice is the people. Unlike a lot of business owners, I get to see my customers face to face every Saturday. If you have a concern or a question, I can answer you on the spot. If you have a complaint, I don't get to hide behind employees or a customer service department. I know that I have to answer for any item I sell, and as a result, I stand behind my products.
The best part, though, is that I get to meet some really fabulous people. I can learn your names, see your children (and dogs as the case may be), and figure out what your favorites are. It's not quite "friendship," but it's certainly more meaningful than your average customer service interaction.
Now that the market season is winding down, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you. You have made my first year awesome and totally worthwhile, and I want you to know that seeing many of you every week and some of you fairly often is a bright spot in my week. It makes all the hard work worth it. Thank you.

--Cheddar Scallion Biscuits--$3 (Cruze Dairy buttermilk, Vermont white cheddar)

--Cranberry White Chocolate Scones--$3 (Cruze Dairy Buttermilk)

--Roasted Tomato and Arugula Pesto Scones--$3 (Colvin Family Farm arugula)

--Mushroom and Brie Quiches--$5 (Cage-free eggs)

--Vegan Pumpkin Brûlée Tarts--$5 (Musick Mountain Farm pumpkin)

--Plain, Dark Chocolate, Ham and Cheese, and Almond Croissants--$3, $4, and $5 respectively (all butter)

--10-Grain Masala Spice Cinnamon Rolls*--$4

--Vanilla Rooibos Shortbread--$2/bag (real vanilla beans, rooibos tea, lavender, and rose petals)

--Spicy Ginger Sandwich Cookies--$2/ea. (powdered, fresh, and candied ginger)

--Seeded Granola--$7/12 oz. (Doubletree Farms sorghum)

--Vanilla Extract--$8/4 oz. (Madagascar vanilla beans, high-proof rum)

*Whole grain wheat, whole grain rye, corn grits, whole grain triticale, whole grain oats, soy beans (for added protein), whole grain millet, barley, whole grain brown rice, oat bran, and flaxseed meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment