Thursday, April 19, 2012

about my ingredients

One important part of my mission statement is that I use the best quality ingredients I can afford/find. I don't cut corners. There are many peripheral reasons for this,--sustainability, ethics--but flavor is the central reason. I've tasted enough mediocre baked goods to know that using better ingredients makes a huge difference in the flavor and quality of the end product. Margarine does not taste as good as butter. 
But it goes further than the debate between margarine vs. butter. This is where ethics comes in. I use as many organic ingredients as I possibly can. I use as many local ingredients as I possibly can. I like to support local farmers by buying their produce. Support local farmers and you support the local economy. You also support higher-quality, fresher produce. I like knowing that the rhubarb I buy at the farmer's market was picked that morning. As someone who considers the freshness of ingredients important, I find the quality of the specimens sitting on most grocery store shelves dubious.
I also use organic, unbleached flour from a reputable mill. Ditto my rolled oats, spelt flour, seeds, and produce. Whenever possible, I buy local produce. Of course, this all depends on what I can find at the market...
Which brings me to my next point. I bake seasonally. Spring pastries will include strawberries, rhubarb, greens, and citrus among other things. Summer pastries may include tomatoes, squash, eggplant, and peppers. In autumn, I will focus on winter squashes and cold-hardy greens. I'm not interested in out of season produce--it had to be shipped from somewhere, and most likely somewhere far away. No thanks.
This week, some of my local ingredients include strawberries, rhubarb, buttermilk, and eggs. My hope is that, as I get a chance to interact with Knoxville area farmers and producers, I will be able to feature more and more local ingredients.
This business model is only possible on a small, local scale. I bake very small batches of my baked goods, and I try to have a greater diversity of items on my table. This ensures my use of high-quality, local ingredients. I only sell at farmer's markets, where I sell directly to you. You can ask me questions face to face, and therefore I am directly accountable to you.
This business model helps all of us. I put my dollar into the local economy via farmers and artisan producers (as opposed to supporting Sysco or big agriculture). You put your dollar into the local economy by purchasing my baked goods. It's better for all of us.
That said, my baked goods cost a little more. Buying local is more expensive for a small producer because I'm not buying massive quantities of produce from a wholesale outfit. And I don't mind telling you that my profit margin is small--I'm not making bank on farmer's market customers. I just want to be able to do what I love, and I love baking and being part of the farmer's market culture.
Look for updates on this site--I post a weekly list of my offerings at the Market Square Farmer's Market, and I try to be as specific as I can. I list local and organic ingredients so you know what you're getting. Of course, you can always just quiz me at the market. I'm more than happy to divulge.
A note on market packaging--I have paper bags, compostable clamshell containers, and compostable plant-based "cellophane" bags available at market for your baked goods. I purchase these from a Nashville-based packaging company, again keeping my dollar as local as possible (and shipping distance shorter). 
Of equal importance, I want you to enjoy your baked goods. Never hesitate to contact me directly (petitbleu88 at gmail dot com). I'm happy to respond to your queries.

No comments:

Post a Comment