Thursday, May 10, 2012

Weekly Market Update 5/12/12

A lot has to happen before my baked goods make it to market.
I start planning the weekly offerings on Sunday, and I prepare my grocery list by Tuesday.
As always, I try to buy produce from local sources. This week, my baked goods feature local Swiss chard, garlic scapes, scallions, and rhubarb. I have also found a source for local pastured eggs, which is extremely exciting. 
The difference between cage free and pastured eggs is enormous. While cage free means slightly better conditions for the chickens, they are still fed layer pellets and most likely have their beaks cut off to prevent pecking. Pastured chickens eat what they are biologically supposed to eat--bugs, grasses, seeds, worms. This makes for happy chickens, healthier eggs, and bright orange yolks--a sign of nutrition. I have been fortunate to find a good source for eggs (Treadwell Farms), and plan to use these particular eggs from now on.
I also use Cruze Dairy buttermilk and milk. I refuse to compromise on even the basic ingredients in my baked goods. When you buy a Little Blue Baking Company treat, check the label. I do not use any artificial ingredients. You will be able to pronounce every ingredient on the label, and for most ingredients, I can tell you exactly where they came from.
Enough blather. Now for this week's specialties.

--Cheddar Scallion Cathead Biscuits--$4 (organic, local scallions; Vermont white cheddar)

--Swiss Chard and Garlic Scape Quiches--$5 (handmade, all-butter crust; pastured eggs; local, organic chard and garlic scapes)

--Brown Butter Rhubarb Scones--$3 (organic, local rhubarb)

--Blueberry Lemon Scones--$3

--Gluten-Free Blueberry Lemon Scones--$3.50 (I use a blend of teff, sorghum, millet, oat, and brown rice flours)

--Roasted Strawberry Bread with Lemon Glaze--$3/slice or $5/mini loaf (organic, local strawberries roasted for concentrated strawberry flavor)

--Arnold Palmer Loaf--$3/slice or $5/mini loaf (yup, you guessed it--lemon and tea flavored bread with a light lemon glaze)

--Buttermilk Plum Coffee Cake--$3/slice

--Spicy Ginger Cakelets with Cointreau Frosting--$2 or 3 for $5 (moist, subtle, and striking)

--Mimosa Pound Cake--$4/slice (a fine-textured pound cake with champagne and orange)

--Chocolate-Chocolate Cookies--$3/pack of two

--Flaky Coconut Macaroons--$2/pack of three (gluten-free)

--Gluten-Free Hazelnut Brownies--$3 or 2 for $5

--Little Blue Granola--$7/12 ounces or $4/8 ounces (oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts--no funny stuff)

--Pumpkin Seed Brittle--$3/4 ounces (caramelized goodness with a hint of espresso and vanilla)

No comments:

Post a Comment